2nd Asbury African Methodist Episcopal Church

Deed for the 2nd Asbury African Methodist Episcopal Church. Courtesy of familysearch.org

The 2nd African Methodist Episcopal Church was one of the early black churches on Staten Island. The land was purchased from John W. Blake and his wife Tabitha in April 1850 for the sum of 200 dollars. The church's cemetery was also known as the "old slaves burying ground" and the Cherry Lane Colored Cemetery. Cherry Lane is now Forest Avenue.